My eldest thought I could do with learning a few things. HAHA, it just confirmed everything I've been doing, and supported the stuff I insist on but he objects to. As I wasn't in a laughing mood on Sunday evening, I just watched it, thought thoughts and discussed it with him the next day.
It was saying:
- ados need 9hrs sleep
- melatonin which is needed to induce sleep doesn't come into effect in ados before about 1am as opposed to 11pm in adults which is why they suffer a 2-hr time lag and need to sleep in at the weekend to make up for the lost sleep.
- they have immature brains resulting in impetuous behaviour and recklessness
- they have boundless energy
- parents should stand firm and not give in during arguments
- ados should communicate with parents more to instil trust
- ados should not be on the computer just before bed as the luminous screen inhibits melatonin.
I also know you should pick your battles and not fight every front because that is too exhausting and ends up being counter-productive.
There's been quite a lot in the papers recently about experts debunking some of the most recent child-centred parenting theories. I thought most of them were a load of rubbish anyway so was happy to see that the new thinking confirms this.
Of course, my eldest thinks he's incredibly hard done-by but I think that's not such a bad thing because when he's eventually free he'll get to appreciate his freedom all the more. And with a bit of luck he'll want to leave home to savour its sweetness.